It sure is mellow grazin’ in the grass
(Grazin’ in the grass is a gas, baby, can you dig it)
What a trip just watchin’ as the world goes past
– Grazing in the Grass by The Friends of Distinction –
We came across the reindeer in a field near Elk County RV Resort & Campground. There weren’t just two or three…there were well over 50 of them relaxing and/or eating in this field. For this photo montage I selected one of the photos I took with just two reindeer relaxing mostly because of the trees in the background and the grass in the foreground.
The top part of the image was taken on the South side of Whiskeytown Lake. It was a beautiful area and a much needed break from the twisting-turning road known as the 299. (We thought we were taking a shortcut from the 101 to the 5…ha!! Granted the scenery was beautiful and neither one of us got car sick, but about a quarter to half way on this road we were both ready for it to be over.)
I used Perfect Photo Suite 8.5 to create the image. To start I opened both files in Perfect Layers, saw how tall the Lake image was and created a new document that was much taller than I needed by the width of the Lake image. Next I copy/pasted the Lake into the new document and positioned it at the top. I repeated the steps with the Reindeer image then shrunk until it was as wide as the lake. I then lowered the opacity so that I could position the trees in both photos to the same area. After raising the opacity I used the masking bug to create a smooth transition between both images…that worked well for the trees, but not so good for the ears or the antlers. I used the masking brush to paint in said ears and antlers. Once that was done I started removing distracting elements with the three tools in Perfect Layers – Perfect Eraser, Retouch Brush and the Clone Stamp. Forgot to mention that I had cropped the image to get rid of the extra blank space at the bottom.
Once the image was ready it was now time to add some flair! I used one of the presets in Perfect Effects then added a few more effects to get the coloring I wanted. I then followed it up with three different textures with some light masking for the final effect.